Thursday, December 9, 2010

I don't hate Christians.

Truly, I don't. I've known some excellent Christians. I think there are some small grains of decent morality that can come from the Christian faith, if you happen to deliberately ignore all of the contradicting messages. Promoting peace over violence (if you ignore all the wars waged in Jehovah's name). Not stealing. That sort of thing. I don't think any Christian should use the Bible as their guidance, though I think they should be aware of the oppressive hate messages contained within.

If you look closely at many religions, or the people of many religions, you'll find common morality. I am a Satanist and I believe in being kind, decent, and humane. Most religions at least preach that, even while simultaneously preaching violence against the "Other" and the "sinner".

When I speak in a derogatory fashion about Christianity, I speak of the harm that has been done in Christianity's name, the harm it continues to do. I speak of the biblical principles that have reinforced oppression and psychological torture. I am not talking about all Christians when I speak badly of Christians or Christianity.

If you're a Christian and you're doin' it right, you're A-okay in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please see the commenting guidelines before posting. Failure to follow the guidelines will result in a deleted comment without response.