Monday, September 5, 2011

"Suspicious Suicide"

Most people more than tangentially acquainted with feminism are aware of the media's tendency to obscure, trivialize, and even downright lie about cases of rape. I, however, was not aware that they did it in terms of murders, too.

The story I've been hearing on my TV is that a woman was found hung outside of a window, bound hand and foot, naked. They were calling it a suicide.

My immediate thought is, "How the hell does one manage to hang themselves with their hands and feet tied?" And why the hell wouldn't anyone else wonder this?

It got worse when I looked for the story online. (Link provided here-> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20079761-504083.html )

I found out that her hands were tied behind her back.

Not only is this a feat of Houdini-like proportions, if it IS a suicide (and I'm going to just go ahead and say it's not), one has to wonder what the point of stripping naked and tying oneself up would be. I have been suicidal. I have had serious and deliberate thoughts about how I wanted to do it. None of those plans included stripping naked and doing odd, uncomfortable things like tying myself up. If people give enough thought to their choice of clothing before the deed, they usually choose to wear the least humiliating thing to be found dead in. In addition to that, suicide victims usually try to find the most painless and convenient way to die. I know how I sound right now, and I apologize for not using a more appropriate tone with a grave situation like this. But I am just so confounded and furious with the media.

I'm going to go on the record as a civilian and say:

Rebecca Nalepa was found murdered in Coronado, California. She was thirty-two. May she have justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please see the commenting guidelines before posting. Failure to follow the guidelines will result in a deleted comment without response.