Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Allies."

Via Genderbitch :

"I’m not gonna lie, I find the entire concept of an ally to be vile and revolting. Mostly because I think creating an above and beyond the call of duty label for people to just be decent human beings (which is what fighting oppression makes you) gives them more entitlement and a greater capacity to hold their efforts hostage to influence us."

(From this post.)

I can really see what she means by that. So what do I call myself when I mean that I'm a supporter? To be honest, this is the first time I've heard this point of view. In most circles I've been to "ally" is a perfectly acceptable word. I do understand how it can come to have a poisonous double meaning when so many people toting the "ally" label have been letting down the people they're supposed to be supporting so much. Apart from the exhausting repeat screw ups, there ARE those who step up with the "ally" label and say, "Worship me, O oppressed class, I am your white knight. And you better speak to me in the proper tone or I'll swear off the cause."

Do we need a new word, or would any word we choose have the same effect of giving 'above and beyond' status to anyone who took up the word as a label? Should we simply call ourselves 'decent human beings'? Well, maybe she elaborates elsewhere on her blog. I'll update this if I find an answer.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for your link to the Theistic Satanism blog network page. I just now, finally, added a link to your blog on that page. I'm sorry this took so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And no problem. I had actually begun to wonder if my comment went through, but I decided to wait rather than risk spamming you. It seems like I chose the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete

Please see the commenting guidelines before posting. Failure to follow the guidelines will result in a deleted comment without response.