Monday, December 6, 2010

Why Satan is not my Father.

The reason is very simple: Because if he was my creator, I would have to hate him for how abjectly miserable life is- life for everyone, and my own life. I would have to ask, Why, Satan, why do you let millions of little girls around the world get sold into sexual slavery every year? Why must so many of us live in poverty and squalor? Why does rape even exist?

Every answer religion has come up with has not been enough. "It is not for us to understand the ways of the gods," they say, or, "There must be a balance of good and evil in the world," or, for Satanists, "Satan in the muse of our society," which implies that he doesn't participate directly in the human world.

So, this is how I see it: Satan is not our creator. Existence, as science would have it, simply is because it is. Satan is just as much a child of the universe as all of us, but he's older than any of us, and has had time to accumulate his power and knowledge in the spirit world, thus rising to the rank of a god. Or perhaps he was created at the beginning of the universe in the form he is now. At any rate, he is not god of everything, not according to my views.

I don't expect much of Satan. In my mind he's less involved in the lives of his followers than other gods. I think he gives us room to change and grow on our own. I haven't asked for his help much ever since I became a theistic Satanist, so I can comfortably believe that every time something went horribly wrong, it was simply because I didn't ask for his help. I suppose if I did ask and didn't receive help I would have to reach for the same old, "He has a plan for me," excuse. This is why I'm an agnostic theistic Satanist, rather than just a theistic Satanist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please see the commenting guidelines before posting. Failure to follow the guidelines will result in a deleted comment without response.